Chemistry is the central science enabling a healthy future in a sustainable society. Chemistry researchers in Leiden take a fundamental approach to finding tailored solutions for complex societal problems in human health and environmental issues. Chemical research in the Leiden Institute of Chemistry (LIC) is concentrated in two major themes:
– Research in Chemical Biology is characterised by the study and interference of physiological processes at the molecular level. With aid of intrinsic chemical approaches and concepts, fundamental biological problems are investigated.
– Research in Energy & Sustainability is focused on the development of new sources of sustainable energy as well as the development of means to decrease the demand for energy in e.g. industrial processes.
Starting from day one, and during the whole master’s programme, a master’s student in Chemistry in Leiden is a member of a research team of choice in the LIC. Guided by an individual mentor, the student composes a tailor-made educational programme for an optimal training to become a chemistry professional.
– Research in Chemistry; students follow a two-year programme in one of the research themes to become an independent and creative scientist.
– Chemistry and Science Based Business; combine training in chemistry with education in business and entrepreneurship.
– Chemistry and Science Communication and Society (taught partly in Dutch); combine research with programmes in different aspects of science communication, such as journalism.
– Chemistry and Education (taught partly in Dutch); prepare for a career in teaching chemistry.